What Happens if You Overstay Your Visa in the U.S.?

It is not uncommon for foreign nationals who entered the United States to overstay their allotted time, according to the restrictions of their visa. If you find yourself in this situation, it is important to understand the potential consequences or penalties you may face, so continue reading to learn more.

Overstaying Your Visa

There are generally four main consequences you may experience as a result of overstaying your U.S. visa.

Here is a list of those consequences:

  1. Inadmissibility: If you remain in the U.S. for more than 180 days, but less than a year after your visa expires, and leave before the institution of removal proceedings, you may be barred from reentering the country for three years, starting on the date of your departure. If you remain in the country with a visa that has been expired for more than a year, you will be barred from reentering the U.S. for ten years.
  1. Barred from extension of status or stay: If you remain in the United States beyond your authorized period of stay, you may not be able to change to another nonimmigrant status or extend your stay.
  1. Voided visa: If you overstay your visa, it will result in the voiding of your existing visa and you may not be readmitted into the U.S. unless you can acquire a new visa from your country of nationality.
  1. No consulate: Another potential consequence of overstaying your visa in the U.S. is that you will not be able to apply at the consulate that is most convenient or close to the U.S. The Secretary of State may designate another country where such individuals can apply for a new visa.

Schedule a Consultation with an Immigration Law Attorney to Get Started on Your Case!

If you need assistance with an immigration-related matter, the experienced legal team at Maghzi Law Firm LLC can provide the exceptional legal guidance you need to navigate it. We have the experience, knowledge, and insight needed to secure the best possible results.

Reach out to our law office today at (843) 800-2750 to set up a consultation with our immigration law attorney to discuss the details of your case and learn more about what our team can do for you. We speak Spanish, Portuguese, and Farsi.

Related Posts
  • EB-3 Visa vs. Other Employment-Based Visas: Which Is Right for You? Read More
  • Understanding the EB-3 Visa: Your Path to Employment-Based Immigration Read More
  • How to Apply for Adjustment of Status without Leaving the U.S. Read More