Going Above & Beyond for Our Clients Temporary Work Visa

North Charleston Temporary Work Visa Attorney


If you are interested in sponsoring one or more foreign nationals to work in South Carolina, look no further than Maghzi Law Firm, LLC to significantly increase your chances of visa approval. Our Charleston work visa attorney can properly complete all your paperwork, collect all the documents required, and ensure you follow all the rules and regulations under U.S. law.

Guiding Clients Through the Process

From corporations to nonprofit entities, many organizations may benefit from hiring an individual foreign worker or a team of employees from overseas to work in the United States on a temporary basis. 

However, the necessary documents and procedures to secure a visa can be complex and overwhelming, which is why sponsors may need assistance from our knowledgeable Charleston work visa attorney to help you navigate the immigration process.

Contact us today at (843) 800-2750 to schedule a consultation with a Charleston work visa lawyer. Serving clients in North Carolina and South Carolina. Services in Spanish, Portuguese, and Farsi are available.

What are the Different Types of Temporary Nonimmigrant Employment Visas?

Temporary work visas offer foreign nationals a limited stay of employment in the United States. There are many types of nonimmigrant employment visas that apply to various occupations.

The following are the types of temporary work visas our firm handles:

  • B-1 Temporary Business Visitor Visa
  • H-1B Specialty Occupations Visa
  • H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers Visa
  • H-2B Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers Visa
  • E-1 Treaty Traders Visa
  • E-2 Treaty Investors Visa
  • L-1 Visa (L-1A & L-1B) for Intracompany Transferees
  • O-1 & O-2 Visas for Persons with Extraordinary Abilities
  • P-1A Athletes Visa
  • P-2 Visa for Individual Performers or Members of a Group
  • R Visa for Nonimmigrant Religious Workers
  • TN/TD Professional Visa

Call The Magzhi Law Firm LLC for a consultation: (843) 800-2750.

B-1 Temporary Business Visitor

This is a temporary business visitor visa that’s used to allow foreign nationals to attend business-related meetings, conferences, conventions, short-term training, and negotiations on the behalf of a foreign employer.

Qualifying for this visa requires one to state the purpose of their trip, intend to stay for only a limited time, have sufficient funds to pay for one’s stay in the U.S., have no intention of abandoning a residence held outside the U.S., and be otherwise admissible to the U.S.

H-1B Specialty Occupations

This visa applies to specialty occupations and immigrants with highly specialized knowledge, particularly relating to cooperative research and development projects for the Department of Defense or service as a fashion model who has distinguished merit or ability.

H-1B workers can be admitted for up to three years initially and extended to last a total of six years. If an employer terminates an H-1B worker for any reason, the employer is liable for return expenses.

H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers

This visa allows U.S. employers or agents to bring foreign nationals into the country for the purpose of filling temporary agricultural jobs. Employers themselves must petition for this visa as a person self-employed, a corporation, partnership, or an agricultural association.

The maximum period of stay possible on an H-2A visa is three years, including the initial authorized period of time and any extensions. After three years, workers must leave the U.S. and wait three consecutive months before readmission to the U.S. on an H-2A is possible.

H-2B Temporary Non-Agricultural Workers

This visa is for seasonal workers who aren’t working in agriculture. U.S. business owners can use these visas to hire foreign laborers to perform seasonal, intermittent, peak-load, or one-time work in an industry other than agriculture. The annual cap for this visa is set at 66,000, which is divided as 33,000 visas distributed for Oct. 1 through March 31 and 33,000 visas distributed for April 1 through Sept. 30.

E-1 Treaty Traders

This visa covers a businessperson from a qualifying treaty country that plans to either work for a substantial trade company in the U.S. or engage in such business. An E-1 employee can work for the employer or one of their subsidiaries as long as there is an established relationship between the organizations; the employment as the subsidiary requires executive, supervisory, or essential skills; and the terms and conditions of employment haven’t changed otherwise.

Once admitted into the U.S., qualified treaty traders can stay for up to two years initially. Extensions and changes of status can be granted for up to two additional years, but there is no limit on the number of extensions for which one can receive. Despite this, visa holders must maintain an intent to leave the county when their status expires or is terminated.

E-2 Treaty Investors

This visa allows foreign nationals of a treaty country to move to the U.S. to invest in and direct a business they own. The visa permits an initial stay of up to two years with an unlimited number of possible extensions, each lasting two years. E-2 visa holders must intend to leave the U.S. when their status expires or is terminated.

Events that could adversely affect E-2 status include mergers, acquisitions, sale of a division where the immigrant investor is employed, or another event that affects the previously approved relationship with the treaty enterprise. USCIS must approve of substantive changes such as these to avoid revocation of the visa.

L-1 (L-1A & L-1B) for Intracompany Transferees

This visa covers “intracompany transferees,” which are executives, managers, or employees with specialized knowledge of a foreign company to work in a branch, affiliate, parent, or subsidiary of the corporation in the U.S.

Foreign employers must file a petition on behalf of these workers. They must also demonstrate 1) proof of a physical location in the U.S. for the new office, 2) that the employee was an existing executive or manager for at least one year in the three years prior to filing, and 3) that the new office in the U.S. will support an executive or managerial position within one year of the petition’s approval.

O-1 & O-2 for Persons with Extraordinary Abilities & Those Accompanying Them

Immigrants who wish to come to the U.S. because they possess extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics can apply for an O-1 visa. The purpose of one’s stay must be to continue their work in the area of extraordinary ability.

“Extraordinary ability” means that one is among a small percentage of people who have risen to the top of their respective fields. Examples include top athletes competing in a U.S.-based elite sporting event, such as the Olympics, or someone who wishes to claim a Pulitzer Prize.

Those who wish to accompany persons with extraordinary abilities during their visit to the U.S. must apply for an O-2 visa.

P-1A for Athletes

Athletes who wish to perform at a specific event in the U.S. can also apply for a P-1A visa. The athlete must be internationally recognized, be a member of an internationally recognized team, be considered a professional athlete, or be an amateur athlete associated with a league consisting of 15 or more amateur sports teams.

P-2 for Individual Performers or Members of a Group

Temporary stays in the U.S. can be authorized for artists or entertainers who are part of a reciprocal exchange program under a P-2 visa. These individuals can perform individually or as part of a group.

Currently, five P-2 reciprocal agreements are in place for the following organizations:

  • The American Federation of Musicians (U.S.) and the American Federation of Musicians (Canada)
  • Actor’s Equity Association (U.S.) and the Canadian Actors’ Equity Association
  • Actor’s Equity Association (U.S.) and the British Actors’ Equity Association
  • The International Council of Air Shows and the Canadian Air Show Association
  • The Alliance of Canadian Cinema Television and Radio Artists (ACTRA) and the Screen Actor Guild – American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA)

R for Nonimmigrant Religious Workers

An R Visa permits foreign religious workers to enter the U.S. for temporary employment with a religious organization or to do other kinds of work for such an organization. The work performed must amount to at least 20 hours per week as a minister or in another religious vocation or occupation.

Those who qualify must have been a member of a religious denomination with a bona fide non-profit religious organization in the U.S. for at least two years before filing for the R Visa.

TN/TD Professionals

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), TN visas cover citizens from either Canada or Mexico, while TD visas allow immediate family members of TN visa holders to stay in the U.S.

Professionals who can seek admission as TN nonimmigrants include accountants, engineers, lawyers, pharmacists, scientists, and teachers.

Additional TN requirements include the following:

  • Citizenship in either Canada or Mexico
  • Your profession qualifies under the regulations
  • The position in the U.S. you intend to fill requires a NAFTA professional
  • You have already arranged a full-time or part-time job with a U.S. employer (self-employment isn’t allowed)
  • You are qualified to practice in your profession

Each visa requires the prospective employer to first file a petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Additionally, some temporary work visas require prospective employers to obtain a labor certificate.

Once a petition is approved, the employer may apply for a work visa. Keep in mind, some categories are limited in the total number of petitions approved on an annual basis.

Call Maghzi Law Firm LLC at (843) 800-2750 to learn more about your options.


Hear from Our Clients Testimonials

"Eles sao um grupo com exelentes profissionais, dispostos em atender em varios idiomas,tira qualquer duvida que o cliente tiver. Super recomendo!"

- Reginaldo Rocha

How Long Do Temporary Work Visas Last?

Depending upon the type, a temporary work visa can remain valid for one month (such as a B-1) to several years (such as an HB-1). Some visas can be extended, adding to the amount of time a foreign national could legally remain in the U.S.

Can I Get a Green Card with a Temporary Work Visa?

Temporary work visas are nonimmigrant visas. This means that although they allow a foreign national to work in the U.S., they neither offer a green card nor a path toward citizenship. A condition of many types of nonimmigrant visas is that the holder only intends to stay in the U.S. for a limited time. In other words, some temporary work visas can be revoked if the holder has a “dual intent” to use it as a means of obtaining a green card.

That said, there are some temporary work visas where dual intent is OK, such as in E, O, and P visa applications. Still, consult with our temporary work visa attorney in North Charleston to learn more about your options if you are ultimately seeking a green card.

Schedule a Consultation Today!

Our firm is committed to providing our clients with experienced and personalized legal representation. We will work relentlessly on your behalf and consistently communicate with you throughout the process.

Call (843) 800-2750 to speak with our North Charleston temporary work visa lawyer! Our services are available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, and Farsi. Reach out to us today!


Continue Reading Read Less

Put Our Passion & Experience to Work

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy
  • EB-3 Visa vs. Other Employment-Based Visas: Which Is Right for You?
    • Immigration ,  
    • Visas
    Read Blog
  • How an Undocumented Worker Can Be Eligible for a T-Visa
    • T Visas
    Read Blog
  • Navigating the Asylum Process in Charleston, SC: What You Need to Know
    • Asylum
    Read Blog
  • Understanding the EB-3 Visa: Your Path to Employment-Based Immigration
    • Immigration ,  
    • Visas
    Read Blog
  • The Biden Administration Passes New Asylum Ban in 2023
    • Asylum,  
    • Immigration ,  
    • In the News
    Read Blog
  • How to Sponsor Family for Employment-Based Green Cards
    • Green Card,  
    • Immigration
    Read Blog