The Build Back Better Act (BBBA) was approved by the House of Representatives in November 2021, opening the door for Congress to build on a historic effort to make substantial investments in American families and public education.
In December 2021, Congressional Democrats attempted to include immigration reforms in the BBBA. The proposed changes would have helped unauthorized immigrants by providing those eligible with parole and work authorization. The reforms would have also reduced green card backlogs and provided some applicants with expedited green cards if the pay a fee. However the BBBA hasn’t passed in the Senate.
What Is the Dignity Act?
The Dignity Act is a is a controversial counter-proposal to the BBBA that claims to protect the dignity of migrant workers. The Dignity Act was sponsored by Republican congressman Maria Elvira Salazar (R-Fla.) and other Republican supporters.
The Dignity Act covers many pieces of immigration reform including:
- Mandatory E-Verify
- A path to citizenship
- Mandatory electronic data entry for employers to determine workers’ eligibility,
- A modification of H-2A and H-2B temporary visa programs that screen foreign workers
Some of the key provisions in the Dignity Act include:
- A clear path to citizenship for DACA recipients and holders of temporary protected status
- Participants in the act could be eligible for an allowance to work in the U.S. for a period of 10 years
- A mandate for an annual payment of $10,000 to the fund for employment training
- Participants who are in the Dignity Program for 10 years can enter a Redemption Program that sets them up for permanent residence and U.S. citizenship
- Requirements of the Dignity Program include having knowledge about English and Civics and engaging in local volunteer work
Participants would also be required to pay a residual amount of $7,500. Residual funds from the Dignity Act would go towards:
- Increased border security, including physical security technological security, hiring 3,000 new security personnel for U.S. Customs and Border Protection and Homeland Security
- An extension of the Agricultural Guest Work Programme
- Asylum applicants would be housed at the border with a count of 1,700 new personnel to look into the cases.
Comprehensive Immigration Counsel You Can Trust
At Maghzi Law Firm, LLC, we proudly represent diverse clients from all walks of life who wish to enter the United States through legal immigration. Our reputable law firm can help you through all aspects of the immigration process, and we are prepared to leverage our extensive resources to advocate your rights.